Modern publishers keep asking a question: ‘How to sell advertising space in a more effective way?’ Today there exist lots of methods of ad inventory trading, which possess definite advantages and drawbacks. Read the article to find the best method of advert space trading for you.
The process of ad space buying
Any process of advert inventory trading begins with a media buyer. This person sends a request for proposal to a group of publishers. The requests of such a type are usually made in a written form. They contain the aims of a definite advertiser. Special descriptors connected with the target audience, type of media, and other features are also a part of the request. Publishers should think about whether the information provided matches their requirements or not.
To look deeper into the process of advert space trading, it is necessary to understand the terms. First, we should speak about advertising inventory. It is a total amount of advert space, which a publisher owns. A publisher can offer it to multiple advertisers for monetization of the website or other platforms. The value of advert space is measured by impressions (or views).
On the majority of cases, the conditions of a deal between advertisers and publishers are agreed upon in advance. They can meet for negotiations or use digital communication channels.
How to sell ad space?
Looking for an answer on a question: ‘What are the ways of selling ad space on my website’, it is vital to consider all the existing methods and select the most appropriate ones.
- Direct sales. It is one of the old methods of ad space trading. It is usually called ‘traditional’ or ‘IO sale’. Companies hire a group of specialists, who become accountable only for direct sales. Their aim is to find high-quality adverts and sign priority deals. They meet with individual advertisers and agencies face-to-face. By means of direct sales, marketers can achieve the highest revenue. This method of advert space selling is mostly used for the following advert varieties:
- – sponsorships
- – takeovers (full-page), etc.
- Programmatic direct/guaranteed. There is hardly any marketer, who has not heard about a programmatic approach in marketing. It is based on the automation of buying/selling advert space. Programmatic guaranteed is a partially automated way or ad inventory trading. It is very close to the traditional method of ad space buying. The automation allows reducing human involvement. However, marketers still need to meet and negotiate on the requirements and terms of a deal. Ordering and delivery are automated, so the process is timesaving. At the same time, it is necessary to spend additional money because of the DSPs and SSPs involvement.
- Affiliate marketing. The simplest way to begin earning money is to join an affiliate program. Such type of marketing means the agreement to promote a product by a blog/site owner for a certain commission. It is possible to use links, banner ads, text for the conversion of organic traffic into referrals.
- Open advertising exchanges. It is a realization of the other part of programmatic. Thanks to the involvement of the 3rd party (which is an ad exchange), the process of ad space trading is fully automated. Ad exchanges are platforms for advertisers and publishers’ cooperation. By means of online auctions, the purchasing process takes a few seconds. Using DSPs and SSPs, marketers can control their advertising campaigns and inventory. They can set definite requirements and pricing options. Thus, they can save time and money. Besides, such an approach guarantees transparency, higher efficiency, and lower risks of fraud.
- Private marketplaces. Such platforms are created by publishers themselves in order to avoid the involvement of the 3rd parties. They launch an advert exchange to sell their premium inventory at a competitive price and to make sure the advert materials are also of the high quality. Such exchanges have very strong requirements. The trading process is also fully automated.